7:30 AM, from your hotel in Kathmandu
The Tibetan Plateau lies north to the Nepal - Tibet border marked by the majestic Himalayan range including Mt. Everest. The vast landscape of Tibet is like one huge canvas of nature painted with numerous cliffs, cascades, canyons, verdant forests and barren dry lands with a captivating backdrop of snowy peaks.
There are several myths and legends associated with Tibet. It has a long political history, full of controversies, while Buddhism remains as the predominant religion. The form of Buddhism practiced in Tibet is generally known as Tibetan Buddhism and has a great influence on Tibetan culture.
Due to its political and geographical isolation from other the outer world, Tibet happens to be one of the most underdeveloped parts of the world. It was opened for international tourism only less than a decade ago. The "Overland Cultural Discovery Of Tibet" package covers the best of the natural, cultural and architectural wonders of this amazing destination.
The tour begins from Kathmandu and a drive through the beautiful countryside of Nepal will take you to Kodari, the gateway to Tibet. After spending a week there, you will fly back to Kathmandu on an exciting flight offering breathtaking views of the Himalayas.
From relaxed (low) to ones where you need to be fit to join in.Low
No surprises here. These tours/activities are those most anyone can do if they are fine with fairly flat walks and getting in and out of transport.Medium
Like to be active, even very active, but not pushed too far. This is the one for you.High
These tours/activities require you to be very fit. Probably not suitable for children.
Some tours or activities are a total immersion ... others offer just a taste of a different way of life. Below is how we\'ve classified things to help you make a selection.Low
Consider these tours or activities as unlikely to surprise. They will still give you fantastic insight into the destination and/or a great experience.Medium
You might find yourself on these tours/activities confronted by quite a different way of doing things to that you are familiar with. Think food, language, customs, religions, mode of transport. For the slightly more adventurous.High
Think things you probably wouldn\'t do on your own ...
7:30 AM, from your hotel in Kathmandu
Any convenient location in Kathmandu
Drive to Kodari (Nepal - Tibet border). From Kodari, drive to Nayalam via Zhangmu
Drive to Xegar via Nayalam
Drive from Xegar ro Shigatse
Drive from Shigatse to Gyantse
Drive from Gyantse to Lhasa, the capital city of Tibet
Day 6 - 7:
Full day sightseeing in Lhasa
Flight - Lhasa to Kathmandu
- All cancellations are subject to a minimum cancellation charge equivalent to 30% of the total amount and must be made at least 2 weeks before departure.
- Cancellation made from 14 to 3 days before departure require a cancellation charge equalling 50% of the total cost.
- No refund will be granted against a no-show or a cancellation made later than 3 days to departure.
Children are allowed to join the tour only if accompanied by their parents.
Things to bring:
- Thermal clothing - woolen or silk long sleeve tops & bottoms, woolen shirts, pullover, pants, socks, hat, gloves, down jacket, etc.
- Comfortable walking boots or shoes.
- Sun hat, sunglasses, suntan lotion.
- Torch light, pen knife, batteries.
- You need to be in good health and be physically fit to participate in this tour.
- You must pass the 'swine-flu' test conducted by the Tibetan authorities right before crossing the border.
- You must have a valid insurance policy that covers health, trip cancellation, accidents, emergency evacuation, and damage, theft, or loss of, your personal effects.
- If you have not booked a proper insurance policy yet, get one right now with WorldNomads.
- In an emergency, we will arrange/provide all necessary rescue services (helicopter rescue, medical treatment, aftercare, etc.).
- By using such emergency services, you unconditionally agree to provide us with your travel insurance policy and authorise us to deal directly with your insurance company.
Package cost includes:
- Tourist coach for the Kathmandu-Kodari drive.
- 4WD with experienced driver during the tour.
- Fees required for visa and travel permits required in Tibet.
- Professional guide during the tour.
- Twin sharing accommodation during the tour (with breakfast).
- Entry permits required to visit monasteries, temples and palaces.
- Sightseeing on the way to and while in Lhasa city.
- Air ticket for the Lhasa - Kathmandu flight.
Package cost does not cover:
- Lunch and dinner.
- Travel insurance.
- Drinks (including bottled water or refreshments).
- Personal expenses, tips or donations.